Tuesday, November 6, 2012

New Original Art - Faithful

I have been working on a lot of new original pieces this week. I guess you could say I am on "artistic fire" or that my creative mojo is on fire. ;) So many fun little projects all at once. Some pieces are headed to my shop, while others are coming with me...somewhere special...somewhere super exciting...BUT, I am going to tell you about that later. Hee hee! I always like a little suspense. More to come later. Look at this sweet new original angel...I love her.


She is a definate favorite for me. She is painted on a wood panel that is about 8 x 4.5 inches. I started out covering the wood with some vintage Christmas sheet music that was literally falling apart. This one was "O Come All Ye Faithful." I love the bits of music showing through and the words that I circled.  The sheets of music actually came from my childhood piano music. The red you see came from scribbled crayon. I think my sister or I must have been the culprits. ;)


I knew I wanted really transparent layers. So after a bit of gesso - I lightly added acrylic paint in Hauser Light Green, Spa Blue, Sea Glass, and white by scraping it on with an old credit card. Her wings have a Pearlizing Medium (Americana) applied over the white which make her wings shimmer. Squeal! So pretty, but hard to see in the pictures.


It is true that if you paint, paint, paint...and then paint some more - a "style" starts to emerge. I am starting to see a common thread weaving it's way through the whimsy girls I paint, the flowers that keep popping up (even in fall), certain colors continually, and a level of comfort. Not like a boring "comfortable" where nothing is tried or things remain the same...but a comfort with myself and what I do that make trying new things second nature. I hope that makes sense!


I also painted another canvas of a whimsy Christmas tree that I will share in another post. I loved painting these so much that I ran out to get more of these little wooden panels (the packaging calls them "trays"). I could only find two. Boo hoo! So I am on the hunt for more.

Are you in a "Christmas-y" kinda mood yet? 
Can you believe it's November 6th??

Still obsessing over Instagram! Come find me @sadieinspired

1 comment:

  1. LOVE love love Jen... your angel is divine... the sweetest face... gorgeous transparent layers... and adore the music paper in the background... stunning work...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete