I don't know about you, but I have a ton of paper. I mean A LOT. After doing oodles of mixed media, art journal, and scrappy projects... I also have a TON of scraps. I just can't seem to throw those pieces away (they usually end up in my mixed media backgrounds). I am always thinking of ways to use them up. I bet you are too!
Lately, flair buttons have become super popular. There are so many cute designs! I adore them. I thought it would be really fun to try and make some of my own. I think making my own adds a little homemade feel to my projects and I can alter them any way I need to. It is such a perfect way to match embellishments to whatever projects I am working on. Seriously, after making a few...I am sold, and there is just so many options to make them unique. Here is what I did!
1) I gathered up all my fabulous scraps. I always keep a small recycled container by my Project Life/scrapbook station (hello, dining room table) and my art table to collect bits of paper. :)
2) I used a one inch circle punch and punched away. I like to punch a bunch out at one time. That way I have them ready to go for any crafty project.
3) Once my circles were ready I decided to embellish some, doodle some words on a few and left some plain. I also loved using little word stickers. This is a GREAT way to tailor your flare to your needs!
4) Finally, I used some Spare Parts (the Paper Studio) 1 inch epoxy stickers and added them to my punched circles. It can be a little tricky to center the epoxy right onto the circle, but you can carefully trim around the edge after if needed. I don't mind the imperfection at all.
5) I turned each "faux flair" over and rubbed the paper on the back to make sure I got any air bubbles out. Again, I am not a factory and they may have imperfections. Especially, if I altered the circle with something that had dimension...the sticker may not lay completely flat. No problem!
Look how cute they turned out! Eeeek, LOOK at that gold beauty in front. I made that one from a mambi Specialty Card. The glittering star is Dear Lizzy paper and a Stickerdoodle sticker. Too cute!
Here is a "faux flair" I made for an embellishment cluster on a 12x12 layout recently. Adorable, right!? That heart was created from one of the me and my BIG ideas 3x4 POCKET PAGES card packs. I simply punched it out & added the epoxy sticker. It was a cinch and it added some needed dimension. Not to mention adding to the cuteness factor. ;) (Layout post coming in the future.)
I am in love with this crafty process! So, I will be making some more. There are all kinds of things to be done with them - add to a Project Life layout, attach to an altered canvas, layer up a card, personalize a journal, and so much more.
Come back next Friday when I show you how I made some mixed media flair!! I KNOW you what to get those hands messy...so, I will see you right here next Friday! :)