Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Silhouette Art Journal


I love art journaling. It is super new to me, but I love the freedom. Sometimes I just paint, sometimes I write...sometimes I do both. It is my own little sacred space where I can let loose. I like to try new things, attempt something I have seen, or try out ideas I have floating around my head. Super fun, right?!

There are so many talented journal artists that I love to follow, read, or watch. I saw Julie Fei-Fan Balzer using a magazine cut out to create a silhouette that looked really fun, so I thought I would give it a try. 

All you have to do is find a picture from a magazine where the model is working a fabulous pose. I happened to have a Brides magazine laying around which is full of great pictures!

I am going to use this girl next! Work it! :)
So I found a girl I liked and cut her out. Julie said to find a pose that has spaces between the arms so it doesn't look like a big blob (that is my paraphrase...I am sure she sounded much more technical, lol).

Anyways, I laid her down and used my watercolor brush to spread some color all around her shape. I recently bought this  water brush. I had seen someone using it & thought I must have that. :) I love using it and it makes a great portable tool to use when you are on the go...or chasing little munchkins all over the house & can't move your whole studio.


After I added color, I lifted her up & had a very cool silhouette. I traced around her shape with my Micron to define her more. I really like the way it turned out. Inside that silhouette makes for a great writing space!



Do you like to work in an art journal? 
Do you have some favorite art journal artists?
Do share! :)
of course Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and Pam Garrison.

Ohhh, and here is a link to Julie's video. Enjoy. She is fabulous!

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! I love how the silhouette becomes the white space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool technique!!and thanks for the video link--I'm going there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I just LOVE this super neat idea!!! I have to try it out now...it looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to own or make my own art journal Jen. I tried doing one and even scrap booking. Since I don't have the talent, you wouldn't want to see what happened to my art journal. It went literally as a SCRAP CRAP, lol!

    I love your work and you know what's best in you, you make it appear so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this idea! I'll have to play with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to journalling too, So lovely to be free, and try new ideas...
    ...fab technique Jen, Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea! I love what you have done and am totally inspired by you - LOVE!
    Oh, and Pam Garrison Rocks!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be the most perfect card ever! Orrrr it would be AMAZING on my wall! AMAZING!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete