Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why Not!? Wednesday - Using Modeling Paste

 If you have read my blog before you know I LOVE using modeling paste. I love the way it looks. Don't you? The instant texture not only looks fabulous, but adds tons of visual interest. It is so easy to use too. Plus there are so many things to do with it. Soooo, why not use modeling paste with shapes. What I mean by that is...instead of applying it randomly (which is also fabulous I might add) across your surface...be very specific about where you place it.

For example, use modeling paste within angel wings. I think the dimension it adds to this piece is lovely. On this piece, not only is the modeling paste emphasizing her wings, but also a pretty shimmer paint too. I just dragged my palette knife (or popsicle stick) across the space of the wing in the same direction. If I went out of the lines of the wing, I simply wiped it away with a damp cloth or baby wipe. Easy!


 More angels with textured wings...




 What about flowers? Spring is almost here, and beautiful blooms are everywhere. Why not use modeling paste?? Below is a canvas I painted for my master bedroom in light blues, creams and grays. On the large flower petals, to add that visual interest again, I "painted" with the modeling paste. I used the same technique as the wings. After the paste is completely dry, I used watercolor and acrylic paint on top. I love how the raised parts of the petals collected the color. Oh, and remember that you can add paint color directly into the modeling paste before you use it too!



There are many different shapes try - hair, animals, grass, ocean, mermaid's tail, clouds. Those are just a few that come to my mind. What can you think of? Why not go give it try!! :)


Happy Creating!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    I just love this canvas! The texture that the modeling paste gives the wings is perfect!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I will have to get my modeling paste out. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,

    Please pop over to my blog. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award!!! Congratulations!!

    Peace,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete